Croydon Cyclone Date Change?

Does what it says on the tin!
james

Post by james » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:28 pm

bruce wrote:Unfortunately ~2% of the BDGA run their own businesses, ~1% has a one month old child, 2% are doing their best to pick up any slack, the remaining 95% are sitting back and poking the anthill with sticks :P
I completely agree, if anyone want better communication and major organization then more people should volunteer to work and try to better the whole situation rather than complaining that it is not organized. It would be very hard to run the tournament with Rich and so clearly changes had to be made, some people are effected but that is just bad luck i guess. It's not the fault of the board that inconveniant circumstances arose.
Ken Climo isn't the only Champ.

"You don't win friends with salad" Homer Simpson

BDGA #135
PDGA #8856

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:23 pm

Must resist.!!!!!
[url=http://www.shropdisc.co.uk/]Disc Golf In Shropshire[/url]

[color=red] BDGA # 266
[url=http://www.pdga.org/tournament/playerstats.php?PDGANum=8833&year=2007]PDGA # 8833[/url]
[/color]

Village

Post by Village » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

james wrote: It would be very hard to run the tournament with Rich
I think you might mean Without Rich........

do we need an analysis from Herr Doktor Freud?
<tongue quite firmly in cheek>
The worst thing about having a failing memory is.....no, its gone...

Running with scissors since 1977

BDGA 173 PDGA 8831

Scuttler

Post by Scuttler » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:52 am

james wrote:
bruce wrote:Unfortunately ~2% of the BDGA run their own businesses, ~1% has a one month old child, 2% are doing their best to pick up any slack, the remaining 95% are sitting back and poking the anthill with sticks :P
I completely agree, if anyone want better communication and major organization then more people should volunteer to work and try to better the whole situation rather than complaining that it is not organized. It would be very hard to run the tournament with Rich and so clearly changes had to be made, some people are effected but that is just bad luck i guess. It's not the fault of the board that inconveniant circumstances arose.
Sorry but no. The BDGA is run on a voluntary basis which I'm sure everybody is very grateful for, myself included, but that doesn't make it beyond critisism.

Membership of the BDGA is a paid for service which carries a certain level of expectation of service. It wasn't the Board's fault that this situation arose, but as I've already said communication re: this issue (and previous communication) was (and has been) poor.

"If you don't like it, don't complain, volunteer yourself" just doesn't wash, some of us aren't currently in the position to volunteer the required amount of time, but that's why we're not on the Board or TDing or whatever.

bruce

Post by bruce » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:28 am

Scuttler wrote:Sorry but no. The BDGA is run on a voluntary basis which I'm sure everybody is very grateful for, myself included, but that doesn't make it beyond critisism.

Membership of the BDGA is a paid for service which carries a certain level of expectation of service. It wasn't the Board's fault that this situation arose, but as I've already said communication re: this issue (and previous communication) was (and has been) poor.

"If you don't like it, don't complain, volunteer yourself" just doesn't wash, some of us aren't currently in the position to volunteer the required amount of time, but that's why we're not on the Board or TDing or whatever.
This will be my last post on the subject, lest I have a sense of humour failure and the BDGA ends up with 1% less volunteers.

Firstly I never claimed we should be beyond criticism, there are undoubtedly things we can and will improve on. I'd be nice if occasionally the criticism was constructive, rather than complaining. It'd also be nice to hear the occasional compliment.

Secondly, the BDGA is a non-profit association, membership entitles you to be a part of that association and have a vote at the AGM.
The Association is a non-profit organisation established and organised by the members, for the members, exclusively for educational purposes and to foster local, regional and national sports competition, including, but not limited to, such purposes as:

To serve as the national governing body of Disc Golf, with responsibility for sanctioning local, regional and national championship events, making available the Official Rules of Disc Golf, ensuring the observance of official standards for and recording of national records; To encourage and protect the spirit of flying disc play; To promote public awareness and acceptance of Disc Golf as sport; To provide a forum for discussion of all aspects of Disc Golf among the affiliated members; and
Consistent with the above principles, to transact any and all other lawful business or businesses for which an Association may be established.
Expectations of service are misplaced, and even if they weren't I think you get excellent value for your 5 pence per day. Hell, you've got better than your fees @ minimum wage out of me alone in the last 3 days.

Thirdly, if you think any of the current volunteers are 'in the position to volunteer the required amount of time' then you're sadly mistaken. We're just the very very few who are willing to sacrifice the time we do have to do the best job we can.
[Standard post disclaimer] My posts are never intended to undermine the work of the Board or individuals putting in effort to grow the sport, they are my honest thoughts on the best ways to grow the game

BDGA: 145
PDGA: 8824

Del

Post by Del » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Having served 10 years as National Director it won't surprise you to hear that I see this the same way as Bruce. I am very grateful to Bruce and the Board for running the BDGA. Being on the Board is largely a thankless task, if you do your job, it seemingly doesn't merit appreciation because you were just doing the job that you were supposed to do.
Derek Robins
Quarry Park Disc Golf

Jared Farrell

Post by Jared Farrell » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Oh my, i didn't mean to start a thread-war when i just asked for confirmation on the date change.

richard

Post by richard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:39 pm

Ok, just seen this thread and am sitting here a little sheepishly!

Firstly, Jarred, I am so sorry that you have caught hold of an expensive date change. I will be looking into your situation with the Croydon Committee and will come back to you soon or see you at the Open if you are attending.

The reason for the date change is thus:
My Sister-in-law got proposed to and then chose to get married in September. Her mother (and therefore the lady who makes your lunches) informed her of the Cyclone date and they went off to find a venue and available official. After 2 months of searching the only day that was available was 9/11... I wonder why!?

So I had to make the decision... to let the Cyclone go on without out me and the caterers or change the date or miss the wedding. What would you have done?

There are so many reasons why the Cyclone and Burnlaw swapped. Grass cutting was the one that stopped us having it earlier and so Garry graciously turned his world upside down too. We also thought that if people had their annual leave booked then a tournament could still be played.

I am hoping that Jarred can still attend both the Cyclone and maybe Burnlaw too... I will be looking for car space for him, I would go myself if it weren't for the wedding!!!
BDGA #259
PDGA #8840
-------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09 and 2013/14

BOF

croydon Invite and/or registration?

Post by BOF » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi,
off on summer holidays in next few weeks so am looking to register for Croydon Cyclone.
Can I officially register with you now, please Rich, since I may well be abroad when the invite gets released?
Train tickets already booked (12 weeks in advance) to get that £20 return deal from Harrogate-Kings Cross!
Thanks in advance.
BOF
BDGA #33
PDGA #8835

http://www.ashvillediscgolf.co.uk

Jester

Re: croydon Invite and/or registration?

Post by Jester » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:14 pm

BOF wrote:Hi,
off on summer holidays in next few weeks so am looking to register for Croydon Cyclone.
Can I officially register with you now, please Rich, since I may well be abroad when the invite gets released?
Train tickets already booked (12 weeks in advance) to get that £20 return deal from Harrogate-Kings Cross!
Thanks in advance.
BOF
Consider yourself registered BOF. Good thinking to get in there early, we're looking to have another full field.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14