Euro Tour '17- June 3rd & 4th - The Battle at Bluebell Woods

News from the PDGA EuroTour and farther afield.
seamus

Euro Tour '17- June 3rd & 4th - The Battle at Bluebell Woods

Post by seamus » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:09 pm

Happy to announce a Euro Tour for 2017 at our course in Dunbar for June 3rd & 4th 2017.

The Battle at Bluebell Woods
Pdga A-Tier
June 3rd & 4th 2017

Much more information to follow.

Whoot!
Back to back, chicken shack.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

rhatton1

Re: Euro Tour '17- June 3rd & 4th - The Battle at Bluebell Woods

Post by rhatton1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:41 am

nice one Seamus!!
www.discgolfuk.com
[email protected]
Home of the Midlands One Day Series
Talk to us about courses!

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:42 am

Congrats, Seamus! Have put in the diary, hope I can qualify/make it.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817
------------------------------------------------------
Croydon DGC: Hyzer Cup Champions 08/09, 13/14

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:22 am

Some of you may recognize the name David Faithful from disc golf years past. As it turns out David has a cottage that sleeps 4 just outside Dunbar, he is willing to not only rent it out but allow others to camp on his land there as well. I thought this place might be ideal if you're traveling in a large group for the weekend. I don't want to post Davids phone number so please get in touch and I'm happy to send it to you.
My number is +44 7572 127020

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:13 am

Dunbar in the summer? Yes please! I'll see what I can do to make it to this one for sure. I'm guessing there are qualification criteria that'll be posted at some point right?
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:51 am

BaggerBlakehill wrote:Dunbar in the summer? Yes please! I'll see what I can do to make it to this one for sure. I'm guessing there are qualification criteria that'll be posted at some point right?
Hi Nick, It'll be the usual Euro Tour registration countdown starting sometime in the beginning of March, all are welcome. Pdga Europe is putting together some nice sponsored packages, once these packages are formalized we'll set our webpage.
We're hosting the inaugural Euro Doubles Champs on June 2nd, hope you can grab a partner and join us for this as well. Stay tuned, Cheers

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

BaggerBlakehill

Post by BaggerBlakehill » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:10 pm

Sounds like a blast! I'll keep an eye out for the info as'N'when :D
Still suffering from early wood

BDGA# 1112
PDGA# 61657

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:35 am

Time to start making arrangements, Stage 1 registration opens Feb 1st

https://www.pdgaeuroprotour.com/the-bat ... gy-europe/

The Inaugural Pdga Euro Doubles Title registration opens as well,
1 x 27 holes of best disc doubles, seeded by rating, per division, in groups of 3.

http://www.rebootdiscgolf.com/euro-pdga-doubles.html

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

mat cutler

Post by mat cutler » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:09 pm

gutted I can't make dunbar this year

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Stage 2 open tomorrow
https://www.pdgaeuroprotour.com/the-bat ... gy-europe/
mat cutler wrote:gutted I can't make dunbar this year
You will be missed, see you soon.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

seamus

Post by seamus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:04 am

only 77 spaces left - don't get shut out!!

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:35 am

Thanks to Seamus and all the team involved at Dunbar for another hugely enjoyable weekend and tournament. The course was looking and playing amazing as always, and it was great to see and play some golf with the Dutch guys, it's been about 10 years since I last did that!

I enjoyed the whole course and the new holes:
#7 was a good challenge, and a better hole I think than the previous straight-shot hole that used to be in the same location.
#10 was a terrific new addition - hopefully will become easier to play (regarding disc finding/retrieving from the grabby tree) as more of the scrub is cut and cleared.
#11 and #12 were also enjoyable, as was the new longer basket position on #13.

As a suggestion to help speed of play (and avoid the subjective 'where did it cross the line' arguments), could a drop zone for OB drives be added to #6 like there is already on #5?

WIth the OB line on #11, I thought it was odd it was squared off at 90 degrees a little past the basket, rather than continuing along the road in the direction of the tee of #12. As marked players going long on to or over the road would not have been OB.
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

seamus

Post by seamus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Hole 7 will settle a little after the zip wire course is installed. Hole 7 was an effort to avoid the planned zip wire course but the gentleman installing the course thought the new fairway looked nice enough for himself. Because of the zip wire redesign we might get old hole 14 back!
You could drive a lorry down hole 10 sideways, its an easy 3 if you tee with a midrange disc or putter. Teeing off with a fairway driver or driver is fine as long as the shot is executed. I would expect to find many 2's and 4's marked on the scorecards for hole 10. You forgot to mention the rickety tee.
After the farmer is finished clearing the brush to the left on hole 11 we'll most likely stake in some twine to mark the OB line as it is on the scorecard as well as remove a few more meters of gorse behind the basket.
I agree adding a dz would speed up play but what Hole 6 needs is players to pay attention and stop looking at their phones all the time, I don't think its an issue for Masters or Grand Masters. If we added a dz on hole 6 like hole 5 then 2 consecutive holes would have drop zones that award a foul drive half the distance or more to the basket. I'd rather avoid that. Plus going OB early on 6 is just risky when off the tee is an infinite amount of space left of the burn all the way to the basket.

Thanks Jester, glad you enjoyed the weekend.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com

Jester

Post by Jester » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Old #14, the beautiful missing downhill par 3 that played into the clearing? That would be sweet to get back.

I didn't say anything about 10 not already being a generous fairway, only that it was one of the few places that couldn't be played without a spotter (for example we nearly lost a disc that landed in the fairway). It's a great hole, I didn't think it was necessary to mention the tee which was obv a work in progress. :)

Good to hear #11 will be further improved - it's already a great hole.

WRT a DZ for #6, I don't get the logic that just because there is a DZ on #5 this would be a negative. Whether it's right or not for the hole in question is surely the consideration?

At Burnlaw #5 Pig Pen, #7 Elbow and #8 Plantation are 3 holes in 4 that all have a DZ for OB drives. I feel all work well and make the holes the challenge they are. In all cases the DZ is less than half the distance of the hole, and in the case of #5 and #8 barely a quarter. The high difficulty of an up-and-down OB 4 from the DZ gives the player a risk and reward choice regarding going for it off the tee or not. Without the DZs, the player could attack the pins, and if going OB be assured a simple OB 4 and perhaps even an OB 3 - not very satisfactory from a course design POV.

I appreciate you may not agree and such is your right, but one thing that is true is that DZs make the holes a breeze to spot - no need to be all the way down at the basket noting the exact crossing point, or worrying if the disc ever made it over the second in-bounds line or not etc, simply being able to say the disc is OB is enough. No debate, no provisionals - straight to the DZ and play on. At Dunbar players in my groups weren't looking at their phones, perhaps those that did were just checking out your cool Scoorin live scoring? :wink:
Jester
BDGA #128
PDGA #8817

LostMeow

Post by LostMeow » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:40 pm

seamus wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:27 pm
I agree adding a dz would speed up play but what Hole 6 needs is players to pay attention and stop looking at their phones all the time, I don't think its an issue for Masters or Grand Masters. If we added a dz on hole 6 like hole 5 then 2 consecutive holes would have drop zones that award a foul drive half the distance or more to the basket. I'd rather avoid that. Plus going OB early on 6 is just risky when off the tee is an infinite amount of space left of the burn all the way to the basket.
We had an extremely difficult call here on Saturday morning when Rory's drive headed towards the in-bounds corner, over the burn where that larger white stake is. It hit one of the many trees on that corner and pinged into the stream. We were all watching keenly from the tee, but had no idea whether the disc had crossed in bounds at that corner before hitting a tree, or whether it hit a tree before being in bounds. The difference was playing the next shot from 20-30m in front of the tee, or from over on the right side of the burn, 20m from the basket - a huge call. In the end we had to go with benefit of the doubt to the player, but in a high pressure final round that call would have been extremely contentious. A DZ would have ended any argument before it could begin...
Tom
ND

seamus

Post by seamus » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:33 am

I understand your concerns regarding spotting where a disc was last in bounds but I don't feel a dz on hole 6 is appropriate. There are many places on this course where the card needs to make a decision regarding the last in bounds spot of a disc and like the example listed above I hope sportsmanship leads the way.For the sake of clarity I am not arguing against your position, if I played a similar two holes on a different course both with drop zones I wouldn't notice.
Jester wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm
WRT a DZ for #6, I don't get the logic that just because there is a DZ on #5 this would be a negative. Whether it's right or not for the hole in question is surely the consideration?
The Blue course is built for players with a 950ish rating, I think most players throwing a Par 59 in our event this weekend posted 940's which is close enough. A 940-950ish rated player on hole 5 generally speaking will not post a double bogey 5 whether there is a dz or not, the hole is too short to threaten their skills. Hole 6 to the contrary is one of the few holes on the course where a player is threatened with OB on their drive and upshot. A tricky yet make-able 3 for the 950 rated player, or an unsatisfactory 4 with the threat of a higher score. Then there are the rest of us 900 folks where we really need to take some risks to generate a 3 and even a 4 for that hole. If we put a dz on hole 6 it would no longer be a threat for a 5+ and that would remove some excitement as well as the potential for score separation, all for the sake of a faster round and/or the uncomfortable situation of having to make a judgement call on a last in bounds position. Not worth it IMO which is why I feel it could be considered a negative to have a dz on holes 5& 6 making the two consecutive holes with all that OB a bogey 4 at worst.

Jester wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm
Old #14, the beautiful missing downhill par 3 that played into the clearing? That would be sweet to get back.
keep your fingers crossed, that's the one.

ReBoot Disc Golf
www.rebootdiscgolf.com